Here’s another edition of “Dear Sophie,” the advice column that answers immigration-related questions about working at technology companies.

“Your questions are vital to the spread of knowledge that allows people all over the world to rise above borders and pursue their dreams,” says Sophie Alcorn, a Silicon Valley immigration attorney. “Whether you’re in people ops, a founder or seeking a job in Silicon Valley, I would love to answer your questions in my next column.”

“Dear Sophie” columns are accessible for Extra Crunch subscribers; use promo code ALCORN to purchase a one- or two-year subscription for 50% off.

Dear Sophie:

I work in people ops at a biotech startup. We received an application from a very promising candidate from Mexico for a job opening we’ve had listed for quite some time. Our company has never sponsored anyone for a visa. Which type of visa should we pursue, how much will it cost, how long will it take, and what should we keep in mind while working through the process?

—Puzzled in Petaluma

Dear Puzzled,

Thank you for your question! I’m excited to hear that your startup is looking to sponsor an international professional for the first time!

Professionals who are citizens of either Mexico or Canada may be eligible for a TN (Treaty National) visa. A TN visa holder’s spouse and dependent children are eligible for a TD (Treaty Dependent) visa.

Source link